Friday 12 August 2011

Argh!!!


Considering it's the dog days of high summer our lives have been very stressful waiting for things to happen.  Usually I write about this stuff after the event, but this time I'm in the middle of it.  Last Thursday I was accepted onto a training course to become a "celebrant" at humanist funerals.  It's a short course, but after it I will be able to officiate in crematoria and other places in the UK where people want a non-religious funeral or memorial service.  Last Wednesday I sent my CV off to an agency for a well paid interim management job in London.  I know that I would be very good at this particular job, but that because of my age and (for an accountant) "exotic" lifestyle I don't stand much chance of getting an interview.  Realistically, if I don't hear today I can forget it and I will need to start accepting that the chances of finding well paid consultancy work in the UK are getting increasingly remote.  As a fall-back I am considering training to teach English as a foreign language, which means a four-week course, probably in London.

Today Sue learned that she has an interview as a teacher trainer/mentor with the British Council in the Malaysian part of Borneo on a two-year contract.

So, putting this lot together: Sue and I may end up living in Borneo for two years; or, Sue may be in Borneo and me in London earning good money and being a busy celebrant to boot; or, I may be in London while Sue teaches English in Puglia and studies for an MA; or, we may both remain in Puglia eking out our savings and becoming more and more shabby genteel before finally starving to death; or, none of the above.

We should know which of these combinations is going to happen by about next Friday.  Sometimes life is so full of possibilities I could scream!

No comments:

Post a Comment