Saturday 6 December 2014

Old Man Running in Cambodia

We've been over a week in Cambodia now and my morning runs have taken me to some special places.  In Siem Reap, waiting for Sue to arrive, I ran five kilometres up the Siem Reap river, which was used to transport stones to the Angkor temples, and stopped at this bridge.
En route I ran through the outskirts of town travelling against the tide of morning commuters on cars, bikes and motorcycles, many, disconcertingly, wearing face masks.  One woman sweeping the streets was concentrating so hard that she didn't see me and thrust her broom in my path, causing me to jump and at the same time let out a very audible fart.  We both laughed heartily as we went on our way.

After Siem Reap we flew down to Sihanoukville on the South Coast, where we are staying at the fashionable Otres Beach.  On my first morning there I trotted down the beach and at about four kilometres found this river which a young guy was paddling across.
Although it's the height of the season the place is very quiet, though this may partly be due to the phenomenal amount of dope that is smoked here.  After taking this shot I trotted back to the "Pat Pat", the French-run guesthouse where we are staying, for fried egg and bacon, fresh fruit and delicious Cambodian coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment