Friday 5 September 2014

The Medals on the Wall

I'm writing this on the sly while dad watches 'the Third Man" on the TV at a volume which is making my ears bleed.  He resents my tapping away at the computer, but if I don't do something I start to go stir crazy.

I'm here with dad in his little suburban bungalow in Lincoln for four days before heading back to Italy.  I keep my sanity by going out in my hire car to the malls of Lincoln and aimlessly window shopping or by running errands and doing "odd jobs" that dad decides he needs doing.

Yesterday I noticed that the glass in the display case where dad keeps his medals was cracked and I bought a picture frame with the intention of remounting them and hanging them on the wall.  He seemed pleased with the result as I took a step back to admire my handiwork.  The one on the right with the blue and white stripes was issued by the UN for his service in the Korean "peacekeeping operation" in 1953.  Some things don't change.

I thought putting his decorations on the wall would be a way of drawing attention to them, which might spark a new line of conversation with his carers and visitors and that it might help his morale to reflect on his life in the Royal Marines.  As I looked I had a sudden vision of them laying on top of his coffin, then I quickly shook the thought away.

No comments:

Post a Comment