Wednesday 31 October 2012

John Hartley - on Praise

John Hartley was a big man in every sense of the word.  A man with a big appetite for life, lunch, booze and cigarettes.  He was my acting tutor at drama school in the early nineties.  John would sit, chain-smoking in the rehearsal room at East 15 watching our attempts at Chekhov with an expression both intense and inscrutable.  On one occasion one of us fluffed a line and John exclaimed exultantly:

"At last something f*****g interesting's happened.  Just for a moment I actually got the impression that you weren't reading from a f*****g script!"

John could be a harsh critic, although I think he saw it as being kind.  Acting is a brutal profession and if you can't embrace criticism and carry on in the face of near constant rejection you are dead.  He was especially eloquent on the subject of praise:

"Praise f***ks you up darlings."  (Pause to take a deep drag on cigarette and exhale filling the room  with a yellow smog).  "Criticism you can use, but praise is like poison.  I had a mate who got a fantastic review in 'the Times'.  It said his performance was remarkable for the quality of his "silent pauses".  (Pause for dramatic effect and another deep drag on cigarette, more yellow smog).  You know for the next six f*****ing years all the poor bastard could play were silent f*****ing pauses.  Destroyed his f*****ing career."

Surfing the internet recently I learnt that John died in 2002 of a heart attack.  I hope he was having a good time, sat in front of an enormous curry, surrounded by friends and admirers, a beaker of wine in one hand and a fag in the other.

9 comments:

  1. John Hartley was my uncle.
    Your comments of him made me laugh. They were so like John.
    Thank you for sharing them.
    David Blake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the pleasure of being on the same secretarial course as John at Wakefield Technical College in 1959/1960. For some reason he was always called Fred and we often shared a packet of three Domino cigarettes before going into class. I have a couple of photos of him when we went hiking at Malham Tarn in the Yorkshire Dales and on a class trip to Paris. Great company and a good friend. Jim Watters.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the memories. Years later I still enjoy a tale of my Uncle John. I laughed when I read that he had been referred to as Fred? I have no idea and have never heard that before. He certainly kept that quiet. Yes I remember Malham Tarn, even in later time around 1983 we had a family visit there. Thank you

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed my comments. I'm not sure why I was moved to make them, other than that he left a very strong impression on me and he was a rare man. I also especially remember his comments about "shaved gorillas" and his readiness to bed them on long desperate tours around regional rep theatres just for the sake of some human warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when i was younger going off with him for the day and we ended up as i recall, on some wasteland.
    There was much happening and my memory was of my uncle shaking hands with people and laughing and talking. I was at the side watching all and not really sure what was going on.
    The next thing a car sped over and 3 guys jumped out and gave John a beating before speeding off....only as i grew older and i understood more, i now know it was the filming of an epiosode of Minder.
    Again thank you for another memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes that sound like the man I knew. I'll raise a glass to him next time I find myself in a pub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John Hartley was a legend and an absolute diamond. I too encountered him at East 15 Acting School - he had time for everyone and was an incredible actor. I am making an independent documentary feature film 'A Unique Experiment' about East 15 and it's style (where it came from and what it's philosophy was from the perspective of four decades of students) and John is mentioned in very fond terms. I would be delighted to send you both a copy later in the year should you have an interest. If not, no worries, I raise a glass to John too - on one occasion after I had graduated the school I found myself going to see him in a play in the North East. Somehow he found out I was in the audience and afterwards he had the generosity of time to have me backstage for drinks - he encouraged everybody and lived a life of creative sharing. I'll never forget him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your memories it was so thoughtful. Thank you

      Delete
  6. Hello Wendy, I'm very bad at monitoring comments on my website. I'd love to see a copy of your documentary.

    ReplyDelete