Wednesday 7 March 2012

Doug the Dependent

OK it's official.  I got my passport endorsed last week with a permission to stay in Malaysia until September 2013.  The downside is that I'm classified as a "dependent" and am not meant to work.  Sue and I knew this would be the deal even before we embarked on this adventure, but it still feels strange.

So, Sue is working incredibly hard being a mentor and also studying with the Open University for an Msc and having the time of her life.  She loves the work and the people she is working with and it's great to see.  Meanwhile I am playing the role of the house husband.  I start most days with a run or a cycle ride, I go to market every other day, do much of the washing and the housework, watch daytime TV (much better than in Italy, we have an HD TV and I could, if I wanted watch UK soaps), have an afternoon nap and cook supper.

There is the possibility of some informal teaching work and I have volunteered to do some work for the British Humanist Association's Celebrant network, but nothing has come of these things so far.  The situation is a bit complicated by the fact that Dad is still in hospital following his knee replacement in early December and I may have to go back to the UK at some point if and when he is finally discharged home.

All in all I'm having to make some mental adjustments to my new circumstances and housework in Borneo can be unusually challenging.  For example, we share the house with around 15-20 assorted geckos.  Very cute and they do keep the insects down, but they also produce an amazing amount of poo for such little creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment