Friday 4 March 2011

Round and round the orange grove

I'm back in Cordoba visiting Sue. Among the delights of Sim City is a jogging track which snakes for two kilometres around a small orange grove not far from Sue's school. I visited it almost every day when I was here last and now it's like coming back to an old friend. It' s reminiscent of a snakes and ladders board and at almost any time of the day or night it is dotted with a variety of people, including runners, dog walkers and older folks taking a constitutional stroll.

Because the grove is actually quite small the track is packed into it in a series of tight curves and sqwiggles which makes it a peculiarly sociable place. Another runner could be a kilometre ahead of you but still only be fifty metres away as the crow flies. I try not to be too competitive but I still get a sense of triumph as I slowly reel in a fellow runner then overtake them. Similarly I do my best not to feel a sense of defeat as a young or not so young athlete lopes past me as I lumber along.

But overall the place is full of a sense of community as we all stroll, trot, hobble or bound round and round the orange grove towards our individual goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment